BLFF’S POETRY ACTIVITY FOR 2018
Songs from the Southern Oregon Coast
January 8, 2018
To: Grade 5-12 Students who live in Bandon, Langlois, or Port Orford
Have you written a poem or short story describing what you love about living along the Oregon
South Coast, or would you like to write one? Gary Carter of Port Orford, local poet and author, is
calling for submissions. These works of art will be published in April, 2018, in a chapbook or
trade paperback titled Songs from the Southern Oregon Coast.
Here is what you need to know:
- These original poems and short stories must depict life and experiences along the Southern
- Poems are limited to 30 lines or less and short stories to 500 words or less.
- ALL original poems and short stories following the criteria and submitted by the due
date will be printed (unless vulgar, obscene or written in a negative voice).
Students in Grades 5-12 who live in Bandon, Langlois, or Port Orford may participate in this
program through the Bandon Library Friends and Foundation (BLFF). The BLFF is not holding the
Will & Celia Piehl Youth Poetry Contest this year. Instead, we are supporting an opportunity for
young writers to have their work included in a locally-produced publication.
In addition to the conditions listed above, here’s what you need to know for poems and short
stories submitted through the BLFF:
- This is not a contest. There will be no judging or winners chosen.
- There will be no cash prizes. Those who submit original work following the criteria will receive a gift copy of Songs from the Southern Oregon Coast containing their submission.
- Original poems and short stories submitted through the BLFF must be received at the Bandon Library no later than February 10, 2018.
- Note in writing that your submission is for Songs from the Southern Oregon Coast
- Include your name, city, name of school, and age.
Questions? Please leave your name and phone number at the Bandon Library circulation desk or